Ways to Volunteer
No matter how much time you have to give, there’s a place for you in Guiding. Whether you choose to work directly with girls in a Unit, spend a few hours volunteering at an event, hold an administrative position or act as an adviser in an area of expertise, we offer a variety of ways to volunteer that will fit your schedule and match your interests.
Work with Girls
Unit Guiders deliver programming directly to our girls on a weekly basis. Unit Guiders are one of GGC’s most valuable resources, and are the face of Guiding.
There are a number of ways to volunteer in an administrative capacity at GGC. Work as an Adviser (international travel, camping, program, public relations, communications, etc.) to help plan program delivery. Or work as an Area Commissioner, a leader for a provincial council/district/area.
How do I Become a Volunteer?
Adults who wish to volunteer with Girl Guides of Canada must complete a two-step application process.District Commissioner
- Interview and Orientation to Guiding
- Two Reference Checks
- Immediate Police Records Check (PRC) and once every three years thereafter
Benefits of Volunteering
When you volunteer with Girl Guides of Canada, not only do you enrich the lives of girls, you gain a personally rewarding experience. Take advantage of the personal and professional development opportunities that Guiding offers:
- Develop skills in areas such as leadership, event planning, advocacy, communications and more
- Mentoring and training programs
- International travel
- Post-secondary scholarships
- Share fun times with your daughter and her friends.
- Promote positive values in youth.
- Help girls become well-rounded individuals.
- Develop positive self-esteem in girls and women.
- Teach girls life skills such as goal setting and budgeting.
- Sleep in museums, aquariums, snow shelters, tepees and tents
- Make a contribution to your community.
- Go beyond your own limitations.
- Experience the joy of a child’s admiration.
- Never miss out on girl guide cookies.
- Enjoy the adventure of seeing a girl try something new.
- Teach girls values that will stay with them the rest of their lives.
- Contribute to the well-being of the girls in your neighborhood.
- Sing around a campfire and eat smores.
- Give back to guiding what was given to you as a girl.
- Offer opportunities to the girls that they might not otherwise have.