Welcome your family and friends to your home this autumn with our great homemade fall door hanger craft. We took advantage of seasonal items, such as small and large craft foam fall leaves, from our local craft store, but we’ve included a template to assist you in case you couldn’t find similar items. This craft does require a little bit more patience than others so it’s much better suited to an older child, however, as with all of our crafts, with a little adult prep work, even a toddler can help construct a fantastic finished product.
What you’ll need:
- Craft foam: red, yellow, orange, brown, green
- Hole punch
- Pre-made big and small leaves (optional*)
- Leaf template
- Letters template
How to make your Fall Door Hanger Craft:
- Cut a rectangle of orange foam that is 4″ X 12″.
- For the leaves in this project, I used pre-cut foam leaf packages found at my local craft store. If you don’t have access to these, we’ve included a template for the them (see the list of materials). If you need to cut out the large leaves, you need one orange, one yellow, one red and one brown one. If you need to cut out the small “maple” leaves you need one yellow, one green, one red and one brown one. You then need an assortment of the more simple leaf shown, 10 in total.
- For the letters used, print out the template and cut out the letters. Trace these onto the foam and cut out. For the smaller letters, you will need a yellow “H”, “P”, and “Y” and a red “A” and “P”. For the larger letters you will need a red “F”, yellow “A” and “L”, and orange “L”.
- Glue the letters to the word “HAPPY” in the center of the orange rectangle made in step 1. Use the smaller leaves to create a border around the rectangle.
- Glue the letters to the word “FALL” onto the large leaves, using one letter per leaf.
- Use the hole punch to punch two small holes in the top of the orange rectangle. Thread a piece of yarn through the holes and tie a knot in the yarn to make the hanger.
- Use the hole punch to punch a hole in the top and bottom of each leaf and one hole in the bottom of the orange rectangle under the yellow letter “P”.
- Use yarn to tie the letters under the orange rectangle in order to spell out “FALL”.
Link to Website: http://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts/fall/fall-doorhanger.asp